I've talked a bit about 'wedding' planning, I've written about how much I adore Justin and how excited I am to marry him but that doesn't mean everything is always perfect. This is how our Valentine's Day went earlier this week:
- Justin and I both went into the office that day and sat in traffic both ways
- Justin got super frustrated with our car bike rack trying to get it onto his car to take his bike to a shop and snapped at me a bit
- I got super frustrated that Justin asked for my help but didn't really want my help with the bike rack and snapped at him a bit
- I got incredibly frustrated when I opened our fridge door to see that water is yet again melting from the freezer into the fridge itself
- Justin got frustrated that I was taking a hair dryer to the frozen over freezer again, because it obviously didn't help last time
- Justin left without a word to the bike shop and gym
- I spent an hour fixing the freezer by actually unplugging the fridge, finding the real problem, and fixing it thanks to Google (so far so good!) (Samantha's 2 for 2 with home plumbing issues!)
- I left to pick up a super romantic dinner of pad thai around 7pm and got home just after Justin from the gym
- We opened our cards while still irritated (at situations more than at each other) while eating pad thai that we dumped onto plates to make it a bit more fancy and formal for the special day that Valentine's Day is.... ha
- We finished out the night watching Shameless on Netflix
As you can see, we had a VERY romantic and exciting Valentine's day around here but you know what, it was real. Neither of us are huge fans of the commercialized holiday. Justin thinks it steals the thunder from his birthday which is the 9th. I think everything is way overpriced simply because it's February 14th and I think that it's a pain in the ass to go to a restaurant on Valentine's Day even if you have a reservation.
All this to say, we never do anything big for V-Day, we usually pick up some nice steaks and make dinner together (which is a very rare thing) and enjoy an evening in. This year was just a bit less organized, planned and... a little less nice. But that's life right? At the end of the day, I still meant what my Valentine's Day card said - I'm looking forward to another 55 years with Justin, even if every V-Day is just like this one was.